Saturday, July 16, 2011

Week 2 reflection

Sorry for the delay in posting! I am in New Jersey at my daughter's college orientation. Exciting.
On to the reflection...so much to say! First off, I was glad to see that in Chapter 2 (Expectancy-Value Models of Motivation), the relation of race and value constructs was mentioned. I was thinking of the same thing while reading Chapters2 and 3. I have done a bit of research on stereotype threat (Claude Steele is the pioneer in that field) and the issues that arise when students are asked to identify as a specific race or ethnicity (such as questions on a fill-in-the-bubble type test). The actual definition: "The experience of anxiety or concern in a situation where a person has to potential to confirm a negative stereotype about their social group" (Steele, 2003). Once they are identified, many students automatically revert to the common stereotype for that race/ethnicity and a self-defeatest attitude takes hold. So for example, a student who identifies as black/African American may have some knowledge of the statistics showing that, in general, African American students perform well below that of their white peers. Possessing this information, then identifying as such, brings forth feelings of inadequacy before the testing even begins, oftentimes leading the student to confirm that stereotype. Stereotype threat came readily to mind in Chapter 3 (Attribution Theory) as well, page 100, second paragraph, that states "teachers are more likely to make attributions for a student's behavior that are consistent with prior beliefs about that individual student". So what is interesting to me is that the teacher forms an opinion and if the student is aware on that on some level, the student may act to confirm that attribution made by the teacher. This is where that brown-eye/blue-eye classroom study comes into play as well. I find it so interesting how they are all intertwined and lead to student performance issues. So again, in chapter 3 when the authors discuss 'effort'. While it is always easy to change the behavior and say "study harder", as in Roy's case, it is not always easy to change the mindset and the way of thinking. I wonder how many students attempt to turn over a new leaf but are put right back in their place by teachers passing judgments on them based on old information? As usual, these articles bring forth many questions for me!

On another note...I have this ongoing disagreement with my daughter who insists that I compare her to myself when it comes to grades. I tell her constantly that I hold myself to a different standard than she does. She is satisfied with an 85, whereas I am not. My point here is that the Expectancy-Value Models really resonated with me personally (low level of aspiration). It's as if a student goes in to a test or an assignment with a negative attitude that he/she may fail or do poorly on, and they confirm that attitude by not doing well. It's a vicious cycle.
My daughter (Ally) has this self-defeatest attitude with certain subjects, like math. She is "not a math person", "sucks at math", etc, which seems to justify her doing poorly on tests. Attribution Theory abound here! So here I sit, at Ally's college orientation, lecturing her on turning over a new leaf! Stay tuned!

On yet another note...I thought the study on the effects of test anxiety was informative but I wish Hancock would have asked personal questions of the participants (or if he did ask questions, I wish he would have published the results and compared them to the results of the TAI). I also wonder if one can accurately measure test anxiety through a questionnaire. One can claim to not suffer from test anxiety when there is no threat of testing. There are also issues that arise about the accuracy and validity of self-reporting by participants. I understand that validity and reliability for the TAI have both been established but there are still issues that arise when not conducting an actual test to check for test anxiety.

3 comments:

  1. Jen, this is my second attempt to respond to your blog...I lost the first one, ug!
    I will try to remember what I just spent an hour on...ah yes, race/ethnicity. When I subbed for that most unfriendly class last week, I tried to connect with the students by asking, "Why are you here?" Many of their responses were, "My teacher was racist." I like to go beyond race so I would then prompt them further by asking, "What else might have been the problem?" Then the more accurate truth came out...I never went to class; I never studied for tests; I didn't do anything in class; I don't like school and I don't see the point of it. When considering the difference between a teacher's and student's ethnicity, it is easy for the student to blame their failure on the teacher being racist. Pollard (1993) writes that reality is much more complex. When a student fails to achieve success you wrote, p.100 (Attribution),..."teachers are more likely to make attributions for a student's behavior that are consistent with prior beliefs about that individual student." Hopefully, as you mentioned, teachers are not passing judgement on a student's behavior because of their race. Another explanation might be that the student simply has low self-esteem. In Expectancy-Value Models, p.68, William James (1890) writes that self-esteem was a ratio between one's successes and one's pretensions...the more a student succeeded in meeting their goals, the higher their self-esteem. Well that brings us back to Keller's ARCS, in particular the R - Relevance. Do some students think that just because a teacher is a different race, they don't value a student's needs and interests? It will take that type of student more time to build trust as they experiencing positive comments, respect from the teacher and academic success(Maslow).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    thank you for so many ideas to consider, and to you too Denise! I am sorry to say that I too think many teachers feed the attribution / prior beliefs issue when it comes to students' race, ethnicity, gender and so on- but I really like to think that most still do so unconsciously. So much of this is systemic, cultural, wide-spread - which does not excuse any of it, but certainly speaks to how much of an issue this still is in our classrooms, and across our culture, for that matter. I think my response to this is pretty much the same as it is to most issues in education - what do the kids have to say about it? And, have we included them in the conversation? Perhaps if we more readily involved them in discussions of school reform we'd see a greater movement toward change...

    On another note, I completely relate to what you're saying about expectancy-value theory. I try to say that I'm happy with my work if I know I've done my best, but I know what game I'm really playing... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent discussion on race/ethnicity/gender and teachers' attributions/prior beliefs. As Sarah mentions, this is systemic cultural issue. About a year ago we (Jerry Edmonds and I, with Kevin Forgard as the grad student on the project) did a curriculum assessment of the honors program in a school district north of NYC. It is a district that has some unique demographics, an area with a lot of resorts so the rich and the people who were primarily service workers at the resorts. While a somewhat rural area, the town had a lot of what would be considered inner city 'problems' such as gangs. Not surprising, the kids in honors classes tended to be primarily white. And to get into the honors classes as traditionally been up to teachers. The superintendent moved to open the honors classes up. The result, parents with the white upper middle class kids who were traditionally in the classes revolted. They felt that allowing "those kids" into class with their kids would bring down the level of instruction. When the issue of race came up and the disparity in who was allowed into honors classes, one white parent literally said "I don't see why that's a problem." So kids get the message from teachers who were handpicking honors students about who could hack it, and also getting the message from parents.

    ReplyDelete