Wednesday, August 31, 2011

IDE 621 week 1 reflection

This week's class was basically a get to know you type thing so there was not alot that really surprised me, or confused me for that matter. I find the topic of learning interesting though so I am sure I am in for some great knowledge gaining! I took a learning class as an undergrad psyche major and it was really interesting to learn the ways people learn that are not the same ways one generally thinks of. By this I mean, out of the mainstream. I generally like to think of creative ways to learn and teach others, but only because I have had that course and because I know that for myself, it is easier to learn certain things certain ways. For instance, I am very visual so it helps me a great deal to see something on paper. I don't necessarily need a picture although many times that has helped. That being said, sometimes words laone do the trick and the addition of a picture in the form of a model (boxes and charts perhaps) make it all the more confusing! There is a delicate balance and it is onew that is constantly changing for me. I suppose it depends on the content and the context. I can't really relate any of my knowledge to my teaching because I do not teach. I have helped out in classrooms but have never taught so when I talked about teaching earlier, I was mainly thinking about my own child, and perhaps her friends who struggled in a subject when they came home from school together and we worked on different strategies to get them through it. So my hopes for this class are that we get into the nitty gritty of all the behaviorists and such and learn what they think, how they classify learning, and whether or not their style and explanations mesh with mine. I know that I am going backwards in my courses and I really feel it when it comes to this course because I feel that this is a necessary foundation on which to build. Hopefully some grey areas will begin to fall into place after taking this course.

1 comment:

  1. When I tutored and taught chem I figured out I had to know at least 3 ways to explain things because differ students just understood things in different ways. (actually it was this that got to be consider education, that I found how people learned so fascinating.)

    Hopefully the grey areas will fall into place. The who differ ways people think about learning is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete