Friday, October 21, 2011

Week 8 reflection

I almost forgot to submit a reflection this week! I feel like missing a class really put me behind the eight ball in that I think I missed some great conversations about cognitive learning. I can get the just from the notes but it's more useful to me to learn by interacting with a group because I get to hear different opinions of how others perceive things and that helps me to see the same thing in many different ways. I got a lot out of the readings on cognitive behavior though so that will certainly help in putting my cognitive kb together. I also think the cognitive kb will be easier for me in the learning scenario I have chosen because all the while I was writing the learning scenario out for the behaviorist kb, I felt like I was grabbing at straws a bit. What I mean by that is that each time I came up with something I would think to myself how it really fit more with cognitivism instead of behaviorism. For each aspect of the behaviorism kb I was thinking okay, how can I turn this into a behaviorist kb because right now it looks like a cognitivist kb? I guess I am more of a fan of the cognitivist aspect of learning because I can see that there needs to be a mindset involved in learning and hat it's not as simply as just see it, repeat it, learn in. I think it's more about how we perceive things, how we are taking in the information and how we are making sense of that information in our minds. Then how do we translate that into meaning to show that we actually have learned something? It's just a process that makes more sense to me. I think that because we learn so differently, the cognitive process almost has to take precedence over the behaviorist process. In looking st my project I think I will have to tweak my learning scenario a bit to meet the needs of both aspects though. I was thinking I would have to do that but I really wasn't sure until I got involved in the cognitive piece a bit more. I was almost wishing we had started it with the cognitive piece, then molded that somehow into a behaviorist scenario after. It seems more difficult going the opposite direction. I think that's because the cognitive piece seems a bit less challenging so if we started out on the simpler side, adding a more difficult plan to the lesson wouldn't be as challenging. Needless to say, it will get done! Thankfully, this is only a draft so I will be looking forward to feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment