Thursday, November 10, 2011

Week 11 reflection

So now that I've bashed behaviorism I am back on track with my posting! So for this reflection I will get back to the actual assignment and discuss the week's work. I thought the in-class exam was fun and enlightening. It was the nice way to go through what we've learned, or in my case what I think I've learned! I felt like I had the opportunity to elaborate on parts one and two which allowed me to show in better form how and what I understand about the theories. The first part I actually found a bit daunting because I didn't remember certain quotes and I wasn't reading into what they were actually saying like I should have been. It was so simple yet I was over thinking it, as is usually the case with me. I was stuck on trying to remember which theorist said that, when that was, and so on. It's the process they were speaking of that I should have been concentrating on, which I was not. Parts 2 & 3 were much easier for me because they each gave me the chance to write down my thoughts and answer questions in my own words. That way I could gauge for myself what I actually knew and did not know. Much more helpful to my learning style. It's funny actually because sometimes I think I don't know the answer to something but then as I start to write things out on paper it comes to me and I realize that I do know what I'm talking about! I feel like sometimes it takes me a minute to parse things out but once I get through that process, I'm on the road to recovery.
So I'm currently working on my kb title page and I've decided to use my slides as a guide to make a chart. From the chart one can navigate to the corresponding pages through hyperlinks. I know, I'm living in the dark ages with PowerPoint! It suits me for now though. Kerry Edmonds told me last year that he used to teach one week summer classes that showed students how to use technology effectively. I think it's too bad that's no longer the case because I could certainly use that! We learned how to use some of the tools in project management but that was things like flash and scratch. Not anything I find will be useful to me in my disaster response work of the future. Anyway, the semester ticks on and we are almost done. I'm happy with my project so far and excited to finally finish it! I've learned so much from it and I love the kb assignment. It really helped me to put the learning in perspective through my own lens. I also like the idea of a group kb where everyone contributes to the same one, sort of like editing the wiki in our motivation class. There are so many different opinions and various learning styles, different schemas, varying prior knowledge, that it would be interesting to have the whole class work on a kb together and try their luck and coming to a consensus. Similar to our class exercise 2 weeks ago but that was only in groups of three and that proved a bit difficult at times, depending on the scenario. Onward and upward...

No comments:

Post a Comment