Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Week 14 post

I think it's week 14 anyway. We skipped Thanksgiving so I'm pretty sure I'm on track. This is my last post for this class but I have enjoyed being able to use my blog for my reflections. Makes things so much easier. I am thinking about my last post, only moments ago where I was griping about not knowing the new technology and I realized that before our motivation class I had never used a blog before, and now I'm relying on it for this class when this wasn't the prescribed method so I feel like I have come around a bit and have stepped into the 21st century with my tech knowledge, however minimal it may be. I would have never thought to use a blog for reflection purposes before our motivation class though so I am pretty proud of myself here.
So this week's questions. What were they again? What did we learn? Seems like that should have been one of them. What method or theory do we identify with? I will have to stake my claim in the social learning theory camp. I feel that that encompasses everything I believe in and it allows the environment and others to play a part in the learning process for each person. That is important to me. The whole idea that knowledge is constructed really resonates with me because I see a link to how I learn in there, and into how my daughter learns as well. Maybe because I've witnessed the power of knowledge being constructed in my own kid is what sells me on SLT but I feel like knowledge is more easily um saturated I will say, into our brains, when it's constructed based on things that are meaningful to us personally. I think that we each contribute to the learning of others in so many ways that it's difficult to ignore that influence. Yes, I know, learning is a social event!
When I took a learning class as an undergrad we focused on Piaget and his methods, Skinner and his, for most of the course so I am glad that we branched out in this class and included more of a variety. I didn't feel this way about learning after that previous class so it took this to get me to actually form an opinion about why I think the way I think.
So in closing I'd like to say thanks for teaching a great class. So much would have made more sense had I taken this class in the beginning as the sequence suggests but I'm glad I waited for you to teach it! I like your style of teaching and i feel like it suits my learning style well. Onward and upward!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe a class on new technologies is in order for the dept! Years ago I taught the integrating technology into teaching class (IDE 654, I think Jing teaches it now, if it's been offered recently; I don;t keep track anymore). When I taught that, I focused on new technologies (what they were at that time). It would be far more fun today given all the new stuff out there!

    But I digress. Yes SLT is the way to go! I enjoyed the class as well.

    ReplyDelete